Registration now open!
On February 20th, 2017, at the SFU Harbour Centre, we will be holding the first FoR Vancouver symposium, bringing together early-career researchers from across BC to discuss challenges facing the future of Canadian science, including:
1) Funding for early career researchers
2) Training and transparency of career outcomes of early career researchers
3) Increased connectivity – how to promote and strengthen conversations about research and infrastructure between research institutions and provinces
4) The structure of the scientific workforce
We are proud to announce our speakers and panellists for FoRVan 2017!
- Keynote address: Prof. Santa Ono, President and Vice-Chancellor, University of British Columbia
- Keynote address: Dr. Terry Thomas, Chief Scientific Officer, STEMCELL Technologies
- Panelist: Dr. Liisa Galea, University of British Columbia
- Panelist: Dr. Lara Boyd, University of British Columbia
- Panelist: Dr. Eric Hsu, Istuary Innovation Group
- Panelist: Dr. Marcia MacDonald, Genome British Columbia
Find out more about our speakers here
February 20th, 2017
1:00 – 1:30 – Registration
1:30 – 2:30 – Keynotes
2:30 – 3:30 – Interactive Panel Discussion
3:30 – 4:00 – Coffee break
4:00 – 5:00 – Breakout sessions
- How can trainees be better prepared for careers in science in 2017?
- How should the supply of postdocs and graduate students be matched to demand to create sustainable, secure career pathways for young researchers?
- How can the funding of science research in Canada be structured to balance and promote basic research, knowledge translation, and training the next generation of scientists?
- How can the current system of incentives be fixed so that scientists and institutions are rewarded for the behaviours that are believed to support good science?
5:00 – 5:30 – Wrap-up remarks
5:30 – 7:30 – Reception
FoR Vancouver Symposium 2017 is being made possible by generous support from our sponsors